We’re looking for Ottawa’s best drag performers to compete in the 2017 Ottawa Capital Pride Pageant for the titles of Mr., Ms., and Mx. Capital Pride! Learn more and register now!
The mission of the Ottawa Capital Pride Pageant is to foster talent within the National Capital region by selecting 3 representatives for the festival who have mastered their craft and are active and engaged in the LGBTTQ+ community.
Contestants for the title of Mx. Capital Pride, Ms. Capital Pride, and Mr. Capital Pride must be at least 19 years of age; live in the National Capital region, Gatineau or Outaouais area, and identify as a member of LGBTTQ+ community.
Mr. Capital Pride performers identify as a member of the LGBTTQ+ community and are portraying a male gender expression throughout the entire night of the pageant.
Ms. Capital Pride performers identify as a member of the LGBTTQ+ community and are portraying a female gender expression throughout the entire night of the pageant.
Mx. Capital Pride performers are not required to identify with the gender binary nor are they asked to portray a specified gender expression. Instead, they are encouraged to present themselves and perform the way they feel most comfortable.
Rules and Regulations
Judging will be based on a total point accumulation system. Capital Pride will supply all of the official scoring documents.
- Any performer cannot hold the title of Mr., Ms. or Mx. Capital Pride for 2 consecutive years. Winners of these titles may compete again only after another performer has held the title for a year.
- Capital Pride will review all applications and will select a maximum of 5 contestants for each of the three categories.Contestants for the title of Mr., Ms. and Mx. Capital Pride will be judged in the following categories: Evening wear/ Runway walk, a 5 second pitch, Talent Number, and Personal Essay (to be submitted with application). Contestants will also be scored by audience members live via social media. This component will be added to the total score as bonus points.
- The use of or the dispensing of any illegal substances will not be tolerated and will be grounds for removal from the pageant. Consumption of alcohol before or during the Pageant will result in removal from the competition.
- Talent presentations will be limited to five (5) minutes. No score will be given if the talent presentation runs longer than the time allowed. All talent presentations songs will be requested to be sent to a designated email address to be assigned at a later date. Contestant should also bring, as a backup, a high quality CD labeled with your name, presentation number.
- Prop setup will be included in your overall allotted time of 5min for your talent. Please keep this in mind when choosing your talent number. Points will be deducted from your score if the set-up takes longer than the time given.
- Any talent presentation will be acceptable, except those presentations that may cause harm to the others. Any comment or presentation that is deemed unacceptable will result in a disqualification from the pageant.
- Any contestant caught in the act of stealing will immediately be disqualified and removed from the pageant venue.
- Any contestant whose actions or comments are deemed demeaning or are deemed as offensive, such as racist, homophobic, transphobic or misogynist etc. to the title of Mr., Ms. or Mx. Capital Pride will be disqualified.
- Any contestant who is late or who does not participate in all pageant activities will have points deducted from their final score.
- Please remember that punctuality is a must in this pageant, all contestants are expected to arrive at the venue 3 hours prior to the start of the event.
- All contestants must bring their own supplies, make-up etc with them to the pageant venue. All contestants are required to arrive at the pageant and check in no later than 6:30pm.
- All contestants are required to remain at the pageant venue during the pageant; this will help eliminate any confusion that may occur.
- All contestants must agree to follow the standards of conduct for Contestants and Titleholders.
- All contestants for the title of Mr., Ms. and Mx. Capital Pride must be willing to fulfill the Titleholder Mandate, or be willing to take over the responsibilities should the titleholder be unable for any reason to complete their reign.
- Please note that any breach in these regulations will result in your disqualification from the pageant.