Each year Capital Pride recognizes people who make an impact on the local or broader LGBTQ2+ community. This year, we are asking the community to nominate people as our 2018 Grand Marshal and 2018 Youth Marshal. The Marshals are leaders in the community who create a better, more vibrant queer community.
Capital Pride continues to work to celebrate traditionally underrepresented people and as such we encourage nominations for trans people and non-binary people, racialized people, Indigenous people, people with disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, migrants and people from other marginalized communities.
- Grand Marshal: The Grand Marshal has had a big impact in the National Capital Region, Kitigan Zibi or Pikwakanagan First Nation through their engagement and effort in a meaningful initiative. This can be through their professional, personal or volunteer work.
- Youth Marshal: The Youth Marshal is a person aged 25 or under who has, through their dedication, elevated, brightened, and advocated for the LGBTQ2+ community in the National Capital Region, Kitigan Zibi or Pikwakanagan First Nation. The Youth Marshal has made a meaningful impact in school, work, a community organization or their neighbourhoods.
Previously, Capital Pride has awarded multiple people with the position of Grand Marshal or awarded a different Grand Marshal title and may choose to do so again.
Deadline for Nominations: Sunday, July 8, 2018
- Nominations may be made by individuals or organizations.
- The nominee must have had an impact on the LGBTQ2+ community throughout the National Capital Region though they don’t necessarily have to reside in the National Capital Region.
- To be eligible for the Youth Marshal, nominees must be 25 years of age or under.
The Marshal is traditionally an honorific for the person or people who will lead the Pride Parade, and embodies the LGBTQ2+ community in the given year they are nominated. Our Marshals are invited to participate in events throughout the Pride Week celebrations, with special attention to the Pride Parade, and the Flag Raising. A fuller description of noteworthy events for the Marshals to attend will be supplied.
The nomination process closes on Sunday, July 8, 2018. The Grand Marshal and Youth Marshal will be announced in the lead-up to the Festival.
Questions regarding the nomination process may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations are now closed.